How long should I cook a thin steak?
Thin steaks (anything less than 1 1/2 inches thick) will cook very quickly; cook until meat is deeply browned, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.
How do you cook a thin sirloin steak medium rare?
For a sirloin steak that’s 2.5cm (1 inch) thick, allow around 1½-2 minutes on each side for rare; 2-2½ minutes for medium rare; 2½-3 minutes on each side for medium; and 4 or 5 minutes on each side for well done.
How do you cook a 8oz sirloin steak?
SEAR & ROAST
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high heat until almost smoking.
- Sear steaks 2 minutes on each side.
- Roast in oven 6 – 8 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
Is it better to cook steak with butter or oil?
Extra virgin olive oil has a low smoke point of around 320 degrees, and butter is a bit higher at around 350 degrees. … Better choices for grilling or frying steak include peanut oil, canola oil, and extra light olive oil, all of which have smoke points above 400 degrees.
What temperature do you cook thin steak?
Place a greased baking tray, cast iron skillet or other oven-safe pan in the oven and preheat it to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Letting the tray or pan get hot first helps you get a sear on your steak as you would on the stove or grill.
How do I make my sirloin tender?
8 Simple Ways to Make Tough Meat Tender
- Physically tenderize the meat. For tough cuts like chuck steak, a meat mallet can be a surprisingly effective way to break down those tough muscle fibers. …
- Use a marinade. …
- Don’t forget the salt. …
- Let it come up to room temperature. …
- Cook it low-and-slow. …
- Hit the right internal temperature. …
- Rest your meat. …
- Slice against the grain.
Why is my sirloin tough?
Additionally, overcooking meat, even meat that comes from the more tender muscles, can make it tough. That’s because heat causes the proteins in the meat to firm up. Overcooking also basically squeezes the moisture out of the meat, making it dry as well as tough.
Can you cut a thick steak in half before cooking?
TL;DR: Yes, it’s fine to cut meats before cooking. … Then, because it’s already done cooking you take the meat out of the bag, put a little butter in a very hot skillet, and sear the meat on all sides just long enough to brown.
How do you cut sirloin steak into strips?
How to Prepare Sirloin Steak for Stir Fry
- Set the meat in your freezer for about 30 minutes or until it just starts to freeze. …
- Trim off any visible fat from the edges of the steak. …
- Inspect the meat to see the direction of the grain, or the direction in which the meat fibers run. …
- Cut each slice into bite size strips about 3 inches in length.
What does it mean to cut steak against the grain?
By cutting against the grain, we want to cut through the fibers and shorten them, rather than cut in the same direction that they run. This makes it easier to chew through, since a lot of the hard work of breaking up the muscle fibers has already been done for you.
How long should you grill a sirloin steak?
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135 degrees F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150 degrees F).
How do I cook Jamie Oliver sirloin steak?
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT STEAK
- Rub the steak all over with a good lug of olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the steak to a hot pan, then cook for 6 minutes for medium-rare, or to your liking, turning every minute.
- For more flavour, try one or a combination of the following…