How do you make Paula Deen’s meatloaf?
- lb ground beef.
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion.
- 1⁄ cup chopped bell pepper.
- egg, lightly beaten.
- ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice.
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats.
Why would you put milk in meatloaf?
The reason milk is added in meatloaf is that it soaks the bread crumbs which add needed moisture to the meatloaf. If you personally do not want to use milk you can try using low sodium beef stock, chicken stock, water, or a non-dairy milk substitute.
How do you make meatloaf from scratch?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, add the beef, bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. …
- Add the meat mixture to a loaf pan. …
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup ketchup, the brown sugar, and vinegar.
Is it better to cook meatloaf covered or uncovered?
Cover a single large meatloaf with a piece of aluminum foil during cooking to keep it moist, but uncover it for the last 15 minutes of baking. “Meatloaf is highly suited to being either frozen raw for cooking later or cooked and frozen to reheat.” Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
How do you make Rachael Ray meatloaf?
- Cooking spray.
- 3 slices white sandwich bread.
- 1/4 cup milk.
- 2 pounds meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal)
- 1 small onion, grated.
- 1 clove garlic, grated.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten.
- 1/2 cup ketchup.
How does Martha Stewart make meatloaf?
- 3 thick slices white bread, torn into large pieces.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped.
- 1 medium onion, chopped.
- 1 celery stalk, chopped.
- 1 medium carrot, chopped.
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley.
- 12 ounces ground beef chuck (90 percent lean), preferably pasture-raised.
- 12 ounces ground pork, preferably pasture-raised.
What happens if you dont add milk to meatloaf?
Milk adds richness and moisture, while the bread helps keep the meatloaf texture softer. So, omitting milk would omit some creaminess and moisture. Those can be easily subbed out by many other ingredients like chicken stock, cream, butter, etc.
Is Egg necessary in meatloaf?
Eggs are used in meatloaf as a binding agent and don’t really offer much in terms of flavor. … When eggs are used in meatloaf it helps to keep the shape all of the components together as one lump. Without this binding you may find that your meatloaf does not keep it’s shape quit so well after cooking.
What can I put on top of meatloaf instead of ketchup?
Instead of putting the ketchup on top like she instructs, I lay strips of bacon on top and do a glaze with chiili sauce (or ketchup), cider vinegar, and brown sugar. You could skip the glaze and just do bacon. FYI this makes a MASSIVE meatloaf- she calls for 5lbs of meat.
What can I substitute for bread crumbs in meatloaf?
Crushed-up crackers make an excellent bread crumb substitute in baked dishes like meatballs or meatloaf. The crackers work just as well as the bread crumbs to hold the meat mixture together, and using varieties like salty saltines or buttery Ritz is a great way to add an extra burst of flavor to your dish.
What kind of meat is best for meatloaf?
What is a good side dish for meatloaf?
10 Best Side Dishes for Meatloaf
- The Best Mashed Potatoes.
- Italian Peas.
- Chuck’s Favorite Mac and Cheese.
- Quick Brussels Sprouts and Bacon.
- Roasted Parmesan-Garlic Carrots.
- Easy Roasted Broccoli.
- Instant Pot(R) Garlic Roasted Melting Potatoes.
- Twice Baked Cauliflower with Bacon.
Do you drain meatloaf?
If you bake your meatloaf in a loaf pan, which ensures a moist loaf, consider draining the fat 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time to develop a crisp top. … If you cut into a loaf-pan-baked meatloaf while it is still hot, it will fall apart.
Is it OK for meatloaf to be a little pink?
A ground beef patty or meatloaf cooked to the required temperature of 160 F (71 C) is safe. Yet under certain conditions it may still be pink in color. … This too can combine with the myoglobin in meat, causing it to retain its pink color (though usually just on the surface) even when well cooked.