How long do you cook a 25 pound turkey?
A 25-pound turkey would take approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes to cook until done — when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast and thigh registers 165 F, according to the University of Minnesota Extension.
Do you cook a turkey at 325 or 350?
Roast the turkey uncovered at a temperature ranging from 325°F to 350°F. Higher temperatures may cause the meat to dry out, but this is preferable to temperatures that are too low which may not allow the interior of the turkey to cook to a safe temperature.
How long do I cook a 25 lb Butterball turkey?
Butterball Turkey Cooking Times
- 4.5 – 7 lbs. Unstuffed: 2-2.5 hours. Stuffed: 2.25-2.75 hours.
- 7-9 lbs: Unstuffed: 2.5-3 hours. Stuffed: 2.75-4.5 hours.
- 9-18 lbs: Unstuffed: 3-3.5 hours. Stuffed: 3.75-4.5 hours.
- 18-22 lbs: Unstuffed: 3.5-4 hours. …
- 22-24 lbs: Unstuffed: 4-4.5 hours. …
- 24-30 lbs: Unstuffed: 4.5-5 hours.
How long does it take to cook a 25 pound frozen turkey?
3. Calculate your roasting time. Thawed turkeys require about 15 minutes of cook time for every pound of meat. With a frozen turkey, you need at least 50 percent longer, or about 22 ½ minutes per pound.
What is the best temperature to cook a turkey?
What temperature to cook the turkey? Preheat the oven to 450°F then drop the temperature to 350°F after putting the turkey into the oven. What temperature should the turkey be? The turkey is done when it registers a minimum of 165° in the thickest part of the thigh.
Do you cook a turkey covered or uncovered?
Q: Should I roast the bird covered or uncovered? A: The Butterball folks recommend cooking the turkey uncovered in a roasting pan. … If you put foil on the breast, remove it about 30-45 minutes before the turkey is done to allow the breast to brown.
How do I keep my turkey moist?
For moist meat without the hassle of clearing fridge space to soak the bird in a vat of brining liquid, try a dry brine. Salting a turkey and letting it rest before roasting seasons it deeply and helps it retain moisture.
How long should a 20lb turkey cook?
If you’re baking it at 325°F (the lowest temperature the USDA recommends), you’ll need to bake a 20-lb turkey in the oven for 4 to 5 hours if it’s unstuffed, and 4 ¼ to 5 ¼ hours if it’s stuffed.
When should I buy my Thanksgiving turkey?
If you want a fresh turkey, make sure you buy it one or two days before you plan to cook it. Generally, fresh turkeys will not be available until two days before Thanksgiving anyway.”
Do you wash a Butterball turkey?
You don’t need to wash a Butterball turkey? In fact, Miller said, doing so could spread bacteria around the kitchen. Open your packaged turkey in a clean sink, prepare it for cooking, and then clean your sink.
What if my turkey isn’t fully thawed?
If There’s No Time to Thaw
If you’re up against the clock and have no time left for even the “quick” cold-water thaw, then just cook the turkey as it is. It’s perfectly safe to cook a frozen or partially frozen turkey — you just need to allow some extra cooking time.
Should I wash my turkey?
Wash Hands: Not the Turkey
According to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service, washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. … But there are other types of bacteria that can be easily washed off and splashed on the surfaces of your kitchen.
When should I take my turkey out of the freezer?
Thawing in the Refrigerator
- Allow approximately 24 hours for each 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40° or below.
- Place the turkey in a container to prevent juices from dripping onto other items in your refrigerator.
- A turkey thawed in the refrigerator can be left in the fridge for up to two days before cooking.
Can you leave a turkey out to thaw overnight?
Do not thaw your turkey on the counter.
It will be totally fine chillaxing on the counter overnight.